Captains' Reports RCCC XI v Waratahs 2008

RCCC XI  v Waratahs, 9 November 2008

RCCC XI Captain's Report

Well our day started off in fairly standard early season form with a missed opportunity ( I believe there must be a hand within a foot of the ball to be classed as a dropped catch!) on the first ball of the day off the bowling of R.Inglis.  This was to be the start of what seemed like a very long first session of play in the field, until the spinners were brought into the attack and the field suitably scattered.   Having them at 4 - 120 odd at the break with D.Benn and M.Yates taking a couple of wickets apiece we were quietly (and foolishly) confident. 
At 4-10 after a few short overs, their youth was starting to look like a very large advantage (and the fact that they seemed to have some blokes who could bowl just a shade better than we could bat), a possible early lunch was looking very likely..  Then Eldershaw (50) and Lawson (46) steadied the ship (the others had seen off their good bowlers) with 108 run partnership with, what seemed like, 100 of them being run. 
We held them to another 78 runs with some very good bowling from young Ted Linden holding up one end with his off spinners, having at least one chance grassed.  We certainly made hard work for ourselves dropping at least 9 catches for the day.  Some people even took exception to having one dropped off their bowling with some very very dodgy LBW decisions occuring later in the day.  Not that you ever like to bag umpires, but fair dinkum Charlie I was closer to the bowlers end than my own when it hit my pads and it was the last ball of the innings when you were denied a wicket!!!   So requiring 199 to win we set about our chase again. Runs came and wickets went.  Once again in RCCC cricket we saw easy two's turned into barely one's, including in the father son partnership of Ted and Geoff Linden where Ted would caress a ball past point and the hamstrings of his father didn't quite hold up as they once would have..
In the end we pulled up 24 runs shy of the total required and the Dick Eldershaw trophy has gone to the Waratahs. All in all it probably wasn't a bad effort given the average age difference (which wasn't worth actually working out, and we didn't even have Brocky or Fred playing).  It was a great day, superbly catered for by the Waratahs, and a lot of fun for our first knock of the season.  As we like to see the standard get better each week we have done our part for the rest of the season knowing that our catching can only get better??!!!.
Thankyou to Paul Meggison, who came out to play and ended up umpiring for most of the day.

Lawson, P.

Scoresheet v Waratahs (Yet to be adjusted for possible romp home via weight for age handicapping system)


Waratahs' Captain's Report

G'day all,

While the match actually took place a few weeks ago now, this is the first opportunity I have had to relay the result of what was a great day out at Borambola Sport & Recreation Ground.

The Dick Eldershaw Trophy was at stake and the day got off to a fairly slow start when we realised that Davey Walker had had a big night and was still "about 10 minutes away" (which turned out to be closer to 20) when the game was due to start. Luckily the Riverine Club boys weren't in too much of a hurry either. We were glad that we had organised about 13 or so players when both Knob Hannafords didn't show either and Goat was also MIA.

All of this aside, we soldiered on. Johnson won the all important toss and elected to bat. The first ball of the innings was a sign of good fortune when croft edged a deceptively quick and lively ball from Rob Inglis between keeper and 1st slip. Croft along with Chigwidden was able to go at quite a pace and the running between wickets was a real feature. Xav ended up with a quickfire 25 and Crofty eventually retired for 53. Strangey put on a rapid 26 while Matty Karpo (6) and Percy McCrone (2) did little to worry the scorers. Karpo would have you believe that the ball was going way over the top of the stumps, but umpire Johnson was adamant that it was hitting middle about 3/4 of the way up. We ended the first Stanza with about 120 on the board, which was a great effort.

Our dig at the bowling got off to a flyer with Nathan Karpenan terrorising the Riverine Club top order. His first spell he conceded only 3 runs for 3 wickets. Dan Selmes took the new ball at the other end and looked dangerous. An absolute screamer in the gully from Davey Walker from a full-blooded cut shot set the tone for the fielding from the 'Tahs side. This saw the Riverine Club in plenty of trouble at 4 down for not many. Richard Eldershaw (50) and Pete Lawson (46) steadied the ship and the Riverine Club were 4/76 at the lunch break. Ryan Cantwell bowled well without luck to return figures of 0/16 from his 3 overs, while Matt Karpenan held up an end with 0/12 off his 2 overs.

A huge thanks to Crawf for cooking the BBQ at lunch. We had snags and steakettes aplenty with a couple of Caesar Salads created by yours truly (OK, Kristy really made them) with the usual coleslaws and pasta salads on the side. There were plenty of favourable comments from the Riverine Club boys, so thanks again Crawf for your effort.

The second Stanza for the 'tahs got off to a somewhat slower start. Davey Walker chipped in with a well made 24, but there was little resistance from Purcell (1), Selmes (3) and Meggison (3). The tight bowling by the Riverine Club meant runs were a lot harder to come by. Worried about wickets in hand, Johnson actually blocked out the only maiden over of the innings, only to be heckled by an unruly member of the crowd for his troubles (I believe a reference to Bill Lawry was made). Assisted by some poor catching from the Rivering Club, Johnson (23) and N Karpenan (14) saw a respectable 196 set for the Riverine Club to chase.

Our second stint at the bowling saw Eldershaw and Lawson pick up where they left off. Eldershaw retiring for 50, but not before being struck from a pretty firey bouncer from Chigwidden, who later dismissed the other danger man, Lawson for 46. Purcell (2/14) and Strange (1/7) were rewarded for some tidy bowling. Matt Meggison returned figures of 0/30 after his fourth over went for 17. Simon Paton taking the long handle to some juicy deliveries.

In the field, Matt Karpenan chased tirelessly all day and the enthusiasm from the likes of McCrone, Chigwidden and co was outstanding.

Final score was Waratahs 196 Riverine Club 179, hence we retained the Dick Eldershaw Trophy. We actually got to hold the trophy, however it was duly returned to the Riverine Club for safe keeping.

Thanks to the supporters who came along to spectate. A huge thanks also to Paul Meggison who came along for a game, but ended up umpiring most of the day instead - this was greatly appreciated by both teams. I am certain that this event will remain one of the great days on the Waratahs' social calendar.

A score sheet is attached for anyone interested.


Tim Johnson